As 2016 has come to a close, I’ve been taking some time to look back on the year and reflect on all that’s happened and all that I’ve learned along the way.
there were many things that came to mind, and other things that I couldn’t really put into words, but I did manage to come up with a list of 10 things to share with you.
1) I learned that it’s God’s kindness when he reveals areas of my heart that are broken and in need of His healing touch.
2) I learned that I can fully trust God to give me the answers I’m looking for, in his time.
3) I also learned (for the 100th time) that God’s timing is way better than mine, even when it doesn’t feel like it.
4) I learned that my struggle with food and exercise is directly related to my need for finding my worth and value in Jesus….not in my appearance, my weight, my circumstances, my parenting, etc; but wholly in Jesus.
5) one of the biggest things I learned in 2016 is that sharing my story–my past, the hurts, the losses, etc–brings healing and freedom.
6) a dear friend spoke into my life and helped me to see that shame has had a major hold on me for many, many years, and has affected many areas of my life.
7) once my eyes were opened to the hold that shame has had on me, I began to read the book, “Shame Interrupted”, which began to open my eyes to the Truth of how much God desires to bring healing and lift the shame.
8) towards the end of 2016, I came to the conclusion that it’s time for me to make taking care of myself a priority. I’m not getting any younger, and I want to be healthy enough to care for my hubby and kids.
9) I also realized that the way I choose to care for (or not care for) myself will have a direct affect on how my kids choose to care for themselves.
10) and to sum it all up, I learned that though big change can be hard, it can also turn out to be the sweetest, most beautiful experience ever.
I truly believe that 2017 is going to be a year of restoration and healing, and I can’t wait to see what God is going to do!